Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Privileges of Old Men

Seth and I have noticed that old men feel the need to make comments to me while we're out and about.

Tonight, for example, as we were perusing the bread selection at the grocery store, an old man in suspenders walked in front of us. He pointed his finger at me and said, "You shouldn't be looking at this, you should be home baking your bread!" Then he winked at Seth.

Um, excuse me? Yes, old man, you're right. I mean, how dare I even leave the home and *gasp!* not spend my days cleaning and cooking for my husband in my house dress and high heels!

Ridiculous. I think he grew up in the 50s.

This has happened a few different times but I don't remember what the other old men have said. It's always the same slightly derogatory but somehow funny to them comments.

I'm bitter.

7 comments:

  1. I would be, too. Blah. And, I totally just wrote a long comment getting on my soap box about this, but I decided I should just leave it at, I agree with you--not funny old men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old men are bored--bored I tell you so they get their jollies making jokes to anyone who will listen. Have you not learned this from your grandfathers . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was pretty funny haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cna hardly wait until I'm an old man so I can make stinging and hurtful comments to strangers. Oh wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you just need to get out of Provo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha. Love dad's comment. Janette,I don't thinkhe meant that literally. I think it was a euphemism for "something else" but it was definitely inappropriate

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT? Michelle you are ridiculous--that is not what he meant.

    ReplyDelete