Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chocolate Cake

Yesterday I finished writing a ten-page paper about the movie Chocolat. (Analyzing the themes of oppression in it, if you care at all)
Yesterday Seth and I went to the BYU Library and checked out some books. My selection?

Needless to say I have been craving chocolate cake real bad
So today I decided to make some. 
Conveniently, I decided this when Seth was out of the house (hometeaching) so that I could selfishly have the spoon and the bowl (all right AND the beaters) to lick all to myself. 

Seriously, the craving is real bad.

Anyway, now I am not so patiently waiting for it to bake and I thought I would share the recipe with you. 
This chocolate cake is a recipe my mother got from her mother. And her mother (my grandma) is possibly the best cook on the face of this planet. She can empty a can of corn into a dish and heat it up in the microwave and it would still taste simply magical, much better than anyone else heating up a can of corn. 
This is my way of telling you this recipe is delicious. 

Chocolate Cake
1. Spray a Bundt pan with Pam
2. Mix: 1 box Devil's Food Cake
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
3. Add: 3 eggs
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
4. Mix again. 
5. Add: 3/4 package mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
6. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
7. Frost with milk or dark chocolate icing. 

I'm pretty sure all of you know this, but just in case .... you have to dump the cake out of the bundt pan upside down. Then frost it. And preferably after it's cooled. Otherwise the frosting will run off the cake and pool in the hole in the middle. I know this from experience. 

Or rather, I know this from watching my mother experience this. 

Seth just walked in the door and when he figured out what I was cooking, he got very hyper. 
When he gets hyper he sticks his tongue out of his mouth and shakes his head around.
It's hilarious. 
I hope this makes up for the fact that I didn't leave him any cake batter to lick up AND I am also making him clean those very cake batter-bare dishes while I write this. 
 
Note the happiness. 
I think it's from the cake. 
(this is Amanda, not me. I know half of you would be wondering so I'm throwing this in here as a preemptive strike.)

11 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds good! I make a very similar cake but I don't frost it...I will have to try it with frosting next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I am so proud of myself! I knew this was Amanda even before I read it. This cake sounds fantastic! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janette, you are too cruel. I can't believe that you would starve poor Seth like that, bad form, wot wot, bad form indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you didn't lick the beaters while the
    mixer was turned on. That would hurt. Didn't you and Mandy watch chocolat as a ritual before leaving each other. I remember you watching it quite a bit

    ReplyDelete
  5. is that what it was? I thought you just liked the movie a lot, I didn't realize it was a ritual. why don't you have a picture of yourself over the cake? that would be what I'm curious about. obviously I know its amanda. but why? this is your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! You and I totally have a psychic connection! My favorite chocolate cake is a recipe that is almost exactly the same as the one you just posted. What's crazier is that I have been craving it like mad and yesterday I broke down and made it. Seriously, I have been craving the same cake and I just made it too! I was going to take a photo and blog about it as well, but I decided I was too lazy (I'm not so great at keeping up with my blog). Anyway, psychic connection. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandma was absolutely thrilled at your comment--She was so excited she made G'pa read it. I'm just getting her used to reading your blogs--Comments are for another lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thaaaaaanks for the retarded picture. And I love Chocolat. We haven't watched it in so long. Let's remedy the situation. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta say this recipe gets my vote for the most AMAZING chocolate cake - I make it way more often than I should because then I eat way more of it than I should, but it's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um your post made me want to go out and make a chocolate cake, but I already did my grocery shopping for the next two weeks and all I had in my cupboard was brownie mix so I made those and yeah, they're the same color but...I want chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have used a similar recipe for the last two birthday cakes I have made. Last time Wayne said it reminded him of Sally Plautz's cakes, which is the highest praise I know of.

    PS I have a killer chocolate frosting recipe if you want it.

    Also I totally read your blog through reader so I read this prob 5 min after you posted it. And for some reason it makes me feel like a stalker to comment too quickly. So I just wanted you to know that I read your blog more than once a week in case you thought differently. So just know that I am a self-conscious stalker. :)

    ReplyDelete