Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trip Across America: Highlights

These are a few fun moments from our 6-day trip across America.
At the Mormon Trail Center. Seth tripped backwards after not looking where he was putting his feet and the picture was taken at the same exact moment.
Perfect timing.
The Nauvoo Temple. Stunning. And much larger in person than I thought it was.
We put all our trust in our GPS during this trip...which sometimes meant traveling on some very back-country roads. We drove for a mile or two through Iowa on this gravel road on the way out of Nauvoo (which has no major highways close by).
Carthage Jail. Shortest stop on our route.
It looks like I edited us into this picture, but I promise we really did go to the Lincoln home in Springfield, Ill. This is about as close as we got to touring it thanks to many many schoolchildren on a field trip taking all the tickets.
The Winsors and the Lincolns. In the Lincoln museum.
The St. Louis Arch. 630 feet high.
The pod car we rode up to the top. It has windows so you can see all the architecture inside. It's a little bit freaky.
Looking out over the city. It was particularly windy that day and the Arch is designed to move with the wind. We came down feeling slightly seasick.
Seth: "I wonder what would happen if we fell from this height....."
2 minutes later. 
"I wonder what would happen if the Arch just fell over right now....."
2 minutes later.
"I wonder what would happen if these windows were bigger and people could fall out of them....."
Me: SHUT IT!
Graceland, home of Elvis Presley.
Carpet in the kitchen. Yikes.
The Jungle Room. That is a water fountain on the wall.
Fabric covering the walls and ceiling.
Truly Elvis, you were a man with great decorating taste.
In Kentucky.
This is actually as we were heading out of the cave, but it was a cool entrance.
Yes, this is actually what one part of the cave is called. 
Good thing I am neither.
Hello, my name is T.C. Lewis and I'm from Farmington, KY and I'm so awesome I'm going to write my name and location in huge letters and then draw two hands pointing at it. 
Then I'll draw a big circle around it.
(see that weird drawing on the right? that's one of the hands. The other one is at the bottom of the picture. I didn't realize what they were until the tour guide told us.)
Arrogance all the way from the early 1800's! (written with candle smoke. impressive.)

Seth and I took 195 pictures during our trip.

This post doesn't seem so long after I tell you that, huh?

1 comment:

  1. looks like fun! Im so jealous you went up into the arch!

    ReplyDelete