Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Mouse, Part 2

We decided since it would be much too hard to patch up the hole (and since he could probably just chew through the insulation again), we needed to get rid of the little sucker. I was a little hesitant to use a mouse trap and therefore have a squished dead mouse in my cupboard, so we decided to catch him alive.

Seth turned to the internet and found this idea. Very clever, I thought. Since our cupboards do not have walls in between to separate them, we balanced the cardboard tube off the end of one of the shelves and placed a bucket below it.

We caught him within a few hours.

And I actually thought he was rather cute. Seth suggested we keep him as a pet.

I didn't think he was that cute.

This was last night, and since it was a little after 11pm and neither of us felt like driving a mile away to get rid of the mouse, we decided to leave him in the bucket and take care of it in the morning.

This morning he was gone.

I don't know how that mouse got out of the bucket. He must be in the Mouse Olympics for jumping. (That is the only logical conclusion I can come to.) Luckily we left the bucket in the closed cupboard and so he escaped through his mouse hole rather than into our house. Oh I shudder at the thought of that...

We're going to try to catch him again this afternoon. Hopefully he's stupid enough to fall for the same trick twice.

4 comments:

  1. WE just use those sticky ones. Remember the time Michelle found the mouse stuck to it and left it on the kitchen counter---ewwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snap ones aren't that bad; they just snap and kill the sucker. Then you can throw it away. I actually hate the sticky ones because then they are still alive and I feel bad throwing them away to starve, and feel like I have to put the little guy out of his misery myself. I don't like doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember that, haha. what was I supposed to do? grab the mouse?! ewwwwwwww. I wanted people to see it without me telling them.
    hey, was your mouse dumb enough to fall for it the second time? I'm waiting with eager suspense...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you stuff the hole with steel wool the mouse won't chew through it. Voice of experience.

    ReplyDelete