Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hey.

Wanna see something gross?

This, my friends, would be yellowish-brownish ice frozen INSIDE MY HOUSE.
Yet another tale to add to my collection of house horror stories.

So this really came about as a combination of two things:
1. We have a lovely large space heater that emits water vapor when it is heating our house. This leads to our windows constantly fogged up and dripping water. Constantly. The water here dripped down to the base of the door and was frozen from the cold air blowing in from outside.
2. There is a little gap between the floor and the bottom of the door. See?

Well you can't really see because there is ice in the way. Nevertheless, snow gets blown under there and then water drips down on top of it, freezing everything into ice.
This makes a nice little ice coating around the bottom of our door. In fact, it freezes our door shut. So much so that every time Seth and I go in and out of that back door (we never use the front) we have to break the ice and yank it open.
This afternoon when Seth decided to go out and shovel the walkway some, he couldn't even get it open for fear of breaking the door. So he got a hammer and one of his nail sets and chipped away at it until he could safely open the door.

The aftermath.
Seth and I have theorized that the ice is yellowish-brownish because it dripped down through all the cracks in the door. And though we scrubbed this house clean, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get all the years worth of disgustingness out of the cracks of the door. Please don't judge me.

The door-freezing has been particularly bad this week because the high for the day hasn't even gotten above 30 degrees.
I drove Seth to class every morning this week because the temperatures were between -3 and 3 degrees at 8 o'clock in the morning.

Countdown to Arizona and beautiful warm weather: 8 days

(On a side note, I talked to my mother yesterday. She wanted to warn me that it was unnaturally cool in Arizona. Why, it was even dipping into the 50s!
....I just laughed at her.)

6 comments:

  1. the whole country is experiencing the cold front. someone told me part of arizona got 15 inches of snow. the previous record for that part was 5 inches. they just tripled their record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's practically an ice age! We don't have water dripping, but we have a gap under our door too, which is constantly drafty... our thermometer is set to almost 80 and im still shivering... booooo cold, go away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha. I loved your witty comments. Anyway, I just have to take a minute to brag....its SUNNY here and theres a yard of grass outside my window. Although its fluctuated from 0 to 10 degrees here, thats the equivalent of 32 to 50 degrees! In North England, can you believe it? haha. So your -3 degrees is probably the equivalent of something like -10 to -20 here. Good friekin grief, I'm SO glad I'm not in the states at this time! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you're use to 110--50 IS freezing and its even dipping down into the 30's at night -- BRRRRRR--

    Flagstaff did get record snow. They are still trying to find all the lost hunters. AND we had a major wind storm and lots of trees fell on cars (some from our ward but not at our house)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to dig out the photos of the mold that grew on our walls in our first house (Layton, Utah). Gross things happen in old dilapidated houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's times like this when I most doubt that global warming exists. You know what? I welcome global warming!! Maybe an increase in average temperature by 10 degrees would destroy the world and cause lots of flooding, but there's nothing that would make me happier.

    ReplyDelete