Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Birth Story

If you don't want to read this I'll summarize it for you: 
I am totally awesome and gave birth to a totally awesome daughter.
I should also mention that my "birth plan" was to go as natural as possible for as long as possible, and despite the crazy labor story I do not have any regrets about the decisions I made.
This is what happened:

Wednesday July 6 (Due Date) doctor's appointment: 
    Schedule an induction for Thursday July 14. 
    Spend the next week absolutely refusing to accept the fact that I will have to be induced.

Tuesday July 12 doctor's appointment:
    Talk to the doctor. Finally accept that I will be induced and not go into labor naturally.

Half an hour later:
   Go into labor naturally.
   Panic.

11:30 PM:
   Finally decide to go to the hospital when the contractions keep getting stronger.

12:00 PM:
   Arrive at hospital. Contractions stop getting stronger.

1:00 PM:
   Leave hospital. Contractions start getting stronger.
   Very funny, uterus. Very funny.

4:00 AM:
   Decide to go back to the hospital.
   I get to stay this time. 
   And show off my natural laboring skills. 

TWELVE HOURS LATER (Twenty-four since I officially started labor) at 4:00 PM:
   Plead for drugs.

7:00 PM:
   Plead for epidural. 
   I should mention that at this point I have been in transition for 5 hours. Typical time? 10 minutes - 2 hours.
   I told you, I'm awesome.

8:00 PM:
   Finally get epidural to work properly. It didn't cover my right side at first.
   Blessed blessed sleep.

9:15 PM:
  Push.

10:21 PM: Tessa!
I kept telling Seth throughout the pregnancy that my labor and delivery was going to be terrible because I had such a fabulous pregnancy. You know, just to keep things balanced.
Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.
But it was all so incredibly worth it.

8 comments:

  1. You are SO tough and awesome!! She is beautiful and I bet, completely worth it! Still, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and Tessa is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait until you can make her your amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to both of you! Labor sounds awful {I skipped most of that part, and for that reason I'm betting my next delivery is going to murder me}, but it sounds like you handled the awesomest. She is so beautiful. I'm glad you didn't let Seth name her Burl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! You have made it through pregnancy and labor, now the real fun begins!! Savor every moment because kids honestly grow up SO fast. I know everyone says that, but you never realize how true that is until you have a kid. Savor your sleep and remember, one day you will get to sleep through the night. One day, very far away! ha. I'm SOO happy for you guys! Keep blog updated with pics! Love you cous! -Emily Toolson Robledo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's a longgggg time to be in labor! you're a baby-having champ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful, congrats! And just so you know, first babies are always hard and long labors. You will be able to do the next one no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, baby... i can't get enough and im not even a baby person. I think this calls for more photos. ;]

    ReplyDelete