Friday, May 29, 2015

Golden Birthday

A golden birthday is when you turn the same age as the day of your birth, and this year was mine. 28 on the 28th. I wanted to do something special, but when I looked up ideas online every single person said "throw a golden-themed birthday party!" and I thought ugh, no.

Instead I decided to adapt an idea one of my friends did for her birthday a few years ago, which was to do as many random acts of kindness as the age she was turning. So for my golden birthday, I employed the golden rule (get it?!?), and did 28 acts of kindness throughout the day.

Here's what I did:
1. Sent in breakfast with Seth to his Seminary class
2. Sent a thank you and cookies to Seth's Seminary co-teacher
3. Left a nice note on someone's car
4-6. Taped quarters to three vending machines at Walmart
7. Bought Tessa the SourPatch kids she snuck into the cart instead of making her put them back
8. Washed the pots and pans (a job I refuse to do 100% of the time)
9. Left cookies for the mailman
10-11. Sent in cookies for each of Tessa's teachers
12. Sent in box tops to Tessa's school
13. Made a donation on Kiva
14. Emailed a blogger I read regularly to tell them how much I enjoy their writing
15. (When it was clear she wasn't going to nap) Let Hailey come out and play instead of keeping her in her room for quiet time
16. Dropped off some donations to Goodwill
17. Picked up trash on our street
18. Wrote a handwritten letter to my brother on a mission in Florida
19. Cleaned up my girls toys instead of making them do it
20. Did not lose my temper with my girls today*
21. Donated to the Liahona Children's Foundation
22. Donated to a local school through Doners Choose
23. Gave Seth a back rub
24. Emailed another blogger to tell them thanks for their writing
25-27. Handwritten thank yous for some people I love
28. Took out the trash (another job I absolutely never ever do)

I know some of these might be stretching it a bit. It's hard to be nice! But it was fun. And I am definitely going to remember my 28th birthday.
I'm happy.


*Seth told me I needed to put this one because Holy Bananas were they not well behaved today. Between Hailey screaming bloody murder because Tessa thought it was funny to stand on her face, and the full-scale meltdowns in the grocery store parking lot because they both wanted to push the cart by themselves without help, and me NOT ONCE yelling at them/banishing them to their rooms, I think it counts too.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that does not sound like a stretch, that sounds like a whole lot to be doing on one day and I'm super impressed! My golden birthday was my 18th birthday and...I got lost in the car with my friends and didn't get to go bowling like I'd wanted to cause mom made us go home--so it was kind of a thud. Except for the car part. It was corny but I'll remember it I guess. Or maybe this was my 16th birthday. Either way, I don't think either of those--or my 21st, were memorable. I can't even remember them now. This sounds so much more memorable and a really awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome. And your girls are awesome. And Seth seems awesome, too. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! You are awesome. Happy birthday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!!! That is amazing. I need to do this. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete