Monday, September 7, 2009

Fly Hunting

This is one of Seth's favorite things to do.

It involves him walking slowly around the room, eyes unblinkingly fixed on his prey, while he waits for them to land. He then either A-catches it in his hand and shakes it about into a daze, or B-flicks it into a daze.
Then he drops the fly on the floor, picks it up with a tissue and brings it outside.
The fly then wakes up from it's Seth-induced stupor, and flies back into the house through the open door. (Look, it's ridiculously hot outside, our house has no A/C and I'll willingly take the flies over the sweat. Plus, this way it provides endless hours of entertainment for Seth.)

Then he starts this process all over again.

I've repeatedly told him it would be better if we just killed the fly so that it wouldn't keep flying back into the house and he scoffs at me for being a murderer. Of flies.

Surprisingly, I am not ashamed of that title.

Yesterday he spent most of the afternoon hunting one fly in our kitchen. When I suggested making this process easier by buying a flyswatter, he said, and I quote, "Psh. Flyswatters are for amateurs."

I am married to a professional here, people.

***EDIT***Seth is very concerned that this post be accurate, so let it be known that when he catches the fly and shakes it about, it's so he can throw it on the floor into a daze, as the fist-shaking only makes it dizzy enough so that it doesn't just fly away when he throws it to the floor. Very important that you all know this technique.
That is all.

4 comments:

  1. It must be a Winsor boy thing. I can't tell Adam when I see an insect in our house, or he won't let me kill it. Especially spiders. He loves spiders. The list of things that are OK to kill is pretty short, so I just take care of it myself and don't let him know I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. My brother used to do the same thing (except he would kill them). One time, he even dressed up in a plastic suit of armor, so at least Seth is not doing that. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful what you say, you might just give him ideas:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. your husband is weird. you do know that flies only live 24 hours right? you should inform seth that he'll just speed up the process by killing them quickly. kind of like euthanasia.

    ReplyDelete