Monday, July 15, 2013

Quiet Book

I made this for T's 2nd birthday. It took me freaking forever too so I am very proud of it, which is why I'm posting about every single page I made. Get excited!
I put some details about how I made it but mostly I just linked back to where I got the ideas, so if you are interested in making one you have the original sources.
The cover. I made it the "Winsor" Quiet Book, instead of just for T (even though it's for her birthday) because there is no way I am making another one of these. I printed out the letters off the computer and then cut them out of felt.
Button-on flowers. Inspiration here.
You can put the flowers in the flowerpot. I had clear thread so I used that for all the machine sewing rather than having to keep switching it out for the correct colored thread. I used colored floss for the hand sewing.
Picking apples off the tree. This is one of the more favorite pages, probably because she can do it so easily.
The apples have velcro. Inspiration here.
I didn't really like any of the zipper ideas I came across, so it's just a page of zippers. T still likes it. Inspiration here
Tying shoelaces. Inspiration here. T can't quite do this page yet, but she likes it because she has a pair of pink converse that look a bit like these.
The barnyard. Inspiration here. Pretty sure everyone on the internet who's made a quiet book has this page in their books. As well they should. It's so cute!
This is the favorite page so far because of the finger puppets. We've already lost them a couple of times.
Mailbox. Inspiration here. You can move the flag up and down too.
There is a letter for each of the girls to put inside, made out of the same material as the pages so it's a little stiffer than normal felt. I just hotglued some ribbons and a "stamp" on it and wrote their names on the front.
Balloons. This is my favorite page. They snap on and off. 
The balloons are all attached to the page but you can move them around where you want them. Inspiration here.
Seth likes to tell everyone this is a plane shooting lasers, but it's obviously just a flying airplane. You can move it along the ribbon. Inspiration here. This one is another favorite of T's. 
The end. The pages are all made from extra stiff non fusible pellon (idea here), but everything else is felt. I used the bottom of a piece of paper to measure, so all the pages are 8.5" by 8.5"
I spent a few weeks of naptime/evenings working on this and it was actually pretty fun for me to make.
But not in a repeatable kind of way.

3 comments:

  1. That is amazing. Like professionally done. And I think your hubby is right about the plane shooting lasers because that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is an adorable and well-made quiet book. I can't wait to see all the other things you make in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete