Saturday, November 17, 2012

Germany: Day 5

Tuesday was Museum Day. We went to The Deutsches (German) Museum. It is (according to Wikipedia) the "world's largest museum of technology and science." You can imagine that Seth was most looking forward to this excursion, and it did not disappoint him.
Only about half the signs in the museum had an English translation in addition to the German one, but luckily for me Seth knew pretty much what every little gadget was and explained it to me with great enthusiasm.
Really, if you are going to an engineering and science museum, it is best to bring someone like Seth along. Even if you have no interest in the subject (for example, me), it is hard not to find everything exciting right along with him.
This was one of his favorite things: a 2-story piston. I believe it was used on a boat. He made me stand there for perspective.
I should probably have Seth write about this, because we have several pictures of stuff and I have no clue what they are or why we took them...
We watched a 20-minute presentation on electricity that was pretty awesome, despite the fact that it was all in German. Shooting lightning through glass and around an insulated ball with a man inside and other crazy things. It was very loud and we had to cover up our ears.
We also watched a glass-blowing presentation that was also all in German. Unfortunately the only question the presenter asked during the entire time was directed to me and once again, in my surprise, all my German phrases flew out of my head and I said "uhh...English?" Luckily he did know English and after answering his question (with the wrong answer, of course) he moved on. By now I was used to making a fool of myself though, so it didn't faze me too much.
We spent about 6 hours there and only saw maybe a third of everything. Seth said "Next time we come to Munich, let's spend all five days in this museum."
The ideal vacation for that man. But not for his wife.
I think the traveling and walking and being 6 months pregnant were finally catching up to me because I was really dragging on this day. I sat down a lot while Seth wandered around the rooms looking at everything. We went back to our hotel around 4 and I took a nap.
We didn't want to sit down to another long, heavy meal of German food that day so we picked up some pastries to eat for dinner (and also some gelato that was absolutely delicious) and then went out to an art museum for the evening, the Alte Pinakothek.
We walked up these stairs because we weren't sure where the elevator was and didn't want to look for it.
Worst. Decision. Ever.
After recovering from that, Seth and I enjoyed strolling through the museum. They had some very beautiful and impressive paintings (if you can't tell, this one was about 20 feet high). In contrast to the German Museum, we were able to see just about everything in only an hour or two.
Of course we spent about half the time laughing at the ugly women and babies and joking about other things.  I don't think we are really art museum kind of people.
Clearly.
Not respectful at all.
But it was still nice and I am glad we went. We bought a souvenir here for T, a little book with the names of colors all in German.

I promise I only have two more posts to write about Germany and then I will never mention it again.

Well - that last part is only a maybe.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Munich, and Alte Pinakothek is like the only museum I've wanted to see (there are some really geeky reasons behind this that I'm not going to mention). Naturally I am insanely jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO! I need more info. about Germany. It's on our travel to-do list.

    ReplyDelete